Almost four years ago I made this Lola Bea diaper bag for my sister-in-law, who was expecting her second child–a girl. It turned out absolutely gorgeous, and I knew if we ever had a baby I’d want to make one for myself too.

My sister-in-law's Lola Bea Diaper bag

My sister-in-law’s bag

Shortly after we found out we were pregnant with Patrick I found purple stamped ladybug Kokka canvas fabric. I bought a yard, not knowing what I’d want to do with it. A week later, I went back to the shop to buy more, because I’d decided it was the perfect main fabric for my diaper bag.

After Patrick died, my mom and I packed up all of my handmade projects. I set them aside in case we got pregnant again and I felt up to making any of them for our next baby. When we got pregnant with Stitch, the diaper bag was high on my list of projects I wanted to complete. But the pregnancy was difficult and anxiety-producing. After a hospitalization at 32 weeks, I realized that only one project was going to get finished–baby’s quilt. Everything else got packed away again.

Fortunately, we got a backpack diaper bag at our baby shower. I had (smartly) registered for it to be a back-up diaper bag for my husband and to carry when we traveled. It worked well, but the older Stitch got, the more I found the bag difficult to organize. I had to practically empty it to find anything when I was out for a whole day. After one particularly frustrating day, I pulled out the supplies I had bought in 2014 and set aside a weekend to get it made.

In progress--ruffle sewn on front of bag. Aren't the ladybug's fabulous?

In progress–ruffle sewn on front of bag. Aren’t the ladybug’s fabulous?

My cutie helper

My cutie helper!

When I originally made this bag for my sister-in-law, it took me three solid days of work. I’d hoped that since I’d made it before and that I was using a different (hopefully easier) stabilizer that it would be done even more quickly. I didn’t factor in the time that my baby would need me, though–or at least enough of it. Instead of taking me three solid days, it took me three off-and-on weeks. But I was determined to have it finished before we traveled for Thanksgiving.

meekmanor_diaperbag_inprogress_lastseam

The final seam, finishing the construction, was sewn the morning before we left. Finished just in time! And since I had to switch my focus to packing for the trip, I decided photos would have to wait. Which worked out perfectly, because it meant I could take them at the beach on vacation.

meekmanor_diaperbag_finished

I could not be more thrilled with the bag. It’s gorgeous. It’s SO me. It’s functional. It’s well-made. It’s just what I needed. Absolute perfection.

meekmanor_diaperbag_finished_inside

The bag contains multiple pockets, inside and out. I particularly like the middle divider pocket, which is both functional and splits the bag for even better organization. I should have taken a picture of the bag stuffed to the max. We cloth diaper, and it can be challenging to find a bag that accommodates cloth diapers along with everything else you “need” to lug around.

The bag also has a pocket on each side of the bag. I use one for a water bottle and one for my phone so both are easily accessible at all times.

meekmanor_diaperbag_finished_side

The bag was completely broken in on vacation, and I’ve deemed it the perfect diaper bag.

Project Details:

  • Pattern: Lola Bea Diaper Bag by Sew Much Ado
  • Main Fabric: Purple ladybugs from the Stamped collection by Ellen Luckett Baker for Kokka Fabrics
  • Contrast Fabric: Purple swirls from Bear Essentials 2 collection from P&B Textiles
  • Stabilizer: Annie’s Soft and Stable (highly recommend using this instead of the fusible fleece and Decor Bond. It was so much easier to stitch through!)
  • Thread: AuriFIL 50 wt. #2582 (a special thanks for Donna at Follow that Thread for saving my butt when I realized I’d “borrowed” the thread I purchased for this project for another project and ended up with a little thread emergency.)